Saturday, May 24, 2008

Emergent Digital Literacy

I am really fascinated by this unit - Emergent Digital Literacy. Jackie's report on two studies regarding children's media use illuminated my understanding of the concept. Digital literacy as defined by Merchant (2007) refers to those literacy practices and events that are mediated by new technologies. Jackie argues that young children engage in a myriad of literacy related activities from birth which are crucial in setting the foundation needed for later success in literacy. These activities revolve around media (such as books, magazines etc), popular culture (such as toys, games, artefacts etc) and new technologies (such as TV, films, computer, mobile phones, console/video games etc) Although I never thought about research in this area but having read this research report as well the one on Digital Beginnings, I recognize the need for educators to be adequately trained in the use of media and new technology to augment instruction and to meet the needs of young children in a rapidly burgeoning technological society. My interest in research pertaining to young children has grown stronger now that I have been introduced to research which focuses on young children's use of popular culture, media and new technologies and the implications this has for curriculum development for young children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been following this with interest Angelina. What age range do you think you would focus on if you decided to research this area?

Angelina said...

Thanks Faye for the comment. I am glad that you have found this are interesting too.
To answer your question I am thinking of working with preschoolers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angelina,

I am also interested in this area - but then again, early years (pre-school) and primary are my area of expertise. I would love to know what you decide to do!

Angelina said...

Hi Misti, thank you for commenting on my blog. I have tried several times to leave comments on yours but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong?

Oh, I am thinking of investigating preschoolers use of media and new technologies in the preschool context and the extent to which caregivers incorporate these in the foundation curriculum in the early years